Sometimes I Cook

I know that my real obsession is sewing, but I do enjoy cooking also. Most of my meals are simple. One of our favorites is cabbage soup. This is an adaptation from allrecipes.com "healing cabbage soup."

Ingredients:
1 lb hot Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 quarts water or chicken broth
4 bouillon cubes if water is used
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 medium head cabbage, chopped
2 cans diced stewed tomatoes
2 carrots, grated

Directions:
Brown sausage in large stockpot over medium heat
Add chopped onion and garlic, cook until onions are clear, about 5 minutes
Add water, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil
Add cabbage and carrots, cook 5-10 minutes until cabbage is wilted
Add tomatoes, simmer another 15-30 minutes

I got this awesome onion chopper at Target. I usually try to keep kitchen gadgets to a minimum because most of them end up wasting space, but this one gets used often enough to keep. It's particularly handy for chopping onions to reduce the cry factor.

Labels: ,