Printed Patterns, my new trick

Have you started using downloaded sewing patterns that you print at home? Many new indie pattern designers are using this platform for distributing their patterns. When I have a choice I generally go the old-fashioned way and get the pattern already printed in a pretty little envelope. But there are times when I want the pattern now and there are times when a really great pattern only comes as a download.

I am working on the Grainline Archer. For $10.50 it's a steal. And I'm sure I'll love it once I tape together the pages and get a usable pattern together.

I came up with this little trick while I was cutting the pages.
Before I figured out this trick I decided the best way to put it together is to cut the edges off one long and one short edge of each page then overlap the pages. I tried using my paper cutter, but that wasn't working because the edges weren't always quite straight. I was getting tired of using the scissors on each edge, so I came up with this compromise.
In step 2 you can see that I've cut off three corners which surround the 2 edges I need to trim.
In step 3 you see that I've lined up the line on the edge of the pattern with the line on the paper cutter.
Step 4 shows what the edge looks like after it's trimmed.
Step 5 shows the trimmed page ready to be taped into the giant conglomerate of pattern pages.

Just repeat these steps about 64 times and you've got a pattern ready to be traced.

I'm not sure this is genius, but it's the best I've got.

Labels: , , ,