Handmade Holidays - sewing for kids

I fell in love with this fabric from Girl Charlee the first time I saw it. I can't remember exactly when I decided to go ahead and order three yards of it, plus a yard of matching green. They have a very similar pattern available right now, but I think this version is cuter.



My first vision for this fabric was the raglan t-shirts. I used the Field Trip Raglan T-Shirt from Oliver + S.  I made three for three of my nephews. Since they weren't close for fittings I just made their sizes according to their ages and what they wear in ready-to-wear. It turns out that this pattern seems to run a little small and a little short in the arms and body. I ended up making another shirt in 4T for my 3 year old nephew and passing down the sizes to the younger ones. Luckily these three little guys are all a year apart. Hopefully the 12-18 month will fit our little guy next year because it certainly wouldn't go over my 12 month old nephew's huge noggin.

My sis in law has been eyeing these cute bow headbands since she found out she was having a girl way back in March. Luckily Megan Nielsen released this awesome free pattern. I'm sure I could have drafted something up or used something else on the world wide web, but Megan has done such a fabulous job with hers. Bella looks adorable in this headband and I also made her some cute leggings to match using Burda 9423 (not pictured).

And of course my little guy needed some cute jammies too. I used a pattern from Burda. The silliest part of this pattern is that the pants don't call for elastic. Instead they have a fabric band at the top like you'd see on a pair of yoga pants. Since this fabric doesn't have a lot of stretch or great stretch recovery I omitted the top band and made the pants themselves an inch taller at the top. Then I sewed 1" elastic in a self casing at the top. The part I do like about this pattern is the pants with feet on them. Although sewing the booties on was a little tricky I appreciate them because then I don't have to worry about losing socks on my guy's tiny little feet.

Labels: , , , , ,