Senna Tote

I loved this senna tote pattern when I first discovered it and bought it sometime last year when they had a 50% off special at Willow & Co.

I don't make bags very often. I can't even remember the last time I made a bag. But I loved this bag design so much I bought the pattern.

I was most concerned about how to put the zipper in the curve but it went together very nicely. This is a thick bag, which is why it has such a nice structure to it. It has canvas interlining in addition to the quilt cotton being interfaced with fusible interfacing. My Bernina 350 did great even on the bulkiest seams. 

I used a quilt cotton from my stash and a piece of gold leather from Fabric.com. The bag is lined with black Kona Cotton (also in the stash), which I also used for the straps. At this point shown above when I was basting all the layers together I got out my walking foot to keep the layers from shifting. It helped a bunch. Although I'm not much of a quilter I am surprised at how useful I find my walking foot to be. It was also great for sewing on the leather because it doesn't stick to the leather surface.
I was able to make this bag in a day, between nursing Little D. Then I put it on my dresser in my room to show off to The Hot Italian. 

"What are you going to use it for?" he asked. 

"I have no idea," I replied. 

Silly hubby...since when does sewing need to be practical?

I actually took it to a sewing class today. It was perfect for my little stash of supplies. It would also make a great diaper bag if I didn't already have one.

It's a great size. I only wish the straps were just a little longer. It's pretty snug under my arm when I put it over my shoulder.

I guess I'll have to make another one to determine the ideal strap length.

Labels: , , , ,