Special Boy, Special Day, Special Outfit

In the LDS (aka Mormon) tradition babies are named and blessed in our Sunday meeting. I was so excited to make our Little D something special to wear for his special day.

I started with McCall's 6221 View E (Simplicity 2447 is very similar). Little D was on the border between newborn and size Small and I made the Small, lengthening the legs to a size Medium because he is tall.

I used a Robert Kaufman linen from my stash for the main fabric. I also had this Robert Kaufman Radiance (Silk/Cotton Blend) in my stash which I used for the vest overlay and a small flat piping accent on the sleeves.
The flat piping in the sleeve was not a feature of the pattern, but I thought it was a cute accent. I simply folded the hem under toward the outside of the sleeve and inserted the piping at the fold and topstitched. I did this in the flat before sewing the underarm seam.

Tiny sleeves are really hard to set, so to make it a little easier I trimmed the seam allowance for the sleeve seam to 3/8" before setting. This made it much easier, though still a little tricky.

The vest is interfaced with Pellon Shapeflex to give it a little extra body. The collar and leg bands are interfaced with some weft interfacing I purchased last year at the Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup.
I used some cotton shirting for the undercollar, the lining, and the bias binding on the snap crotch. I had some size 15 Dritz snaps in my stash and used my SnapSetter to set them. Even though the SnapSetter is for size 16 snaps it worked well. I do feel that the snaps from Snap Source are better than the Dritz I hate to pay for shipping and I had the Dritz on hand. If this were something that would get a lot of wear, I would definitely buy snaps from Snap Source.

We had a lunch at our place afterward and I was so busy that I didn't get any good photos of the little guy in his outfit, but we did get a family photo with my side of the family. Unfortunately the Costanzo cousins were all sick, so they were not with us that day.

Disclosure: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,