Why I May Never Need to Buy Salad Dressing Again

The Hot Italian and I have been doing a fairly liberal "low carb" diet since Christmas. The main impetus for this diet was to get hubby's heartburn under control. After a bit of research we determined that this may be the main reason for his nasty heartburn and decided to give it a try. Three months in and hubby's heartburn is much more manageable. Also, I've lost most of my baby weight (down 12 pounds since Christmas with 5 pounds to go).

Salad became a regular addition to our dinner table and thanks to pinterest I found what I think may be the perfect salad dressing.

At least half of the cooking I do is just winging it with what I have on hand (made much easier by the fact that I have a well-stocked pantry and spice rack), so I was able to modify this recipe which has become a staple.

And in case you want to see a small portion of my spice rack...all my spices are stored right inside the pantry door on the wall - a 3 inch deep space that seems made for this purpose.


But you really just want my recipe, right?

Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette

Mix all ingredients in a container and store in the refrigerator

1-2 tsp crushed garlic (I always keep a jar from Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp sugar or other sweetener (I'm using stevia right now)
2 tsp salt
3/4 c olive oil

The container I'm using to mix my dressing in isn't quite big enough for all the ingredients, so I just add enough oil to fill it up and go from there. I've been making this at least once a month and we're still not sick of it.



Labels: , , , ,