I almost forgot

In my previous post I listed what I consider to be essentials to the beginning sewist.

The next day while I was at work I realized that I had missed a very essential item...a seam ripper.

You can buy a seam ripper for less than $2.00, but my favorite is this one from Clover.
Can you see the difference between the two seam rippers? The Clover seam ripper has a finer head (I don't know if there is a technical term for that part that goes into the seam) which makes it easier to get between your fabrics. There's a blade at the bottom of the U shape and the blade on the Clover is nice and sharp. And trust me, the blade does dull over time.

When I started sewing I didn't really like unpicking seams. Now I've come to accept that its just part of the art of sewing. After more than 20 years of sewing I still use it almost every time I sit down to sew.

Labels: , ,